Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Actor Prepares

I sat in front of the mirror
in my make-up, my character
slowly bonding to my psyche,
when I looked over
to another actor, doing the same.
He was frozen in time,
his sponge hovering over his face
as if he forgot what he was doing.
I tried to understand
what he was doing exactly.
Was he about to cry?
Was he about to quit?
I couldn’t figure it out
for the life of me.

And then, he moved
once again, as if
nothing happened at all.
Then I thought that maybe
he had a sort of epiphany,
and he understood
what needed to be done
and what needed to be said.
Suddenly his majesty
came about him like
a velvet cape and
he was no longer there.
His character had taken him
away from this place.
I asked him, not knowing
how naïve I sounded,
if he was ready.
He replied in one word:
always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ryan Hanley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.